Monday, 30 April 2018 | Admin
Throughout history, society has often stigmatised individuals with flat feet. Healthy young men were deemed physically unfit to become soldiers, and aspiring ballet dancers were mocked for the shape of their feet. Though there are cases when the condition can indeed cause pain, fatigue or other health issues, flat feet tend to be perfectly harmless for most people.
Even if you're not suffering from any medical problems caused by flat feet, we understand why you would want to get rid of the problem altogether. Though surgery or physical therapy are known to provide great results when it comes to fixing flat feet, we're here to offer you a few other suggestions before deciding to do anything as drastic as that.
Medication and visits to the podiatrist aside, there are two main options that can help you get rid of flat feet at home: foot exercises and customised shoe insoles. Let's begin with the first option.
Exercises to Fix Flat Feet
Strengthening and creating a natural arch in your foot is the best solution if you want to get rid of flat feet once and for all. The exercises described below can help you naturally increase the height of your foot arches, but only when practised consistently. We recommend you give them at least ten minutes a day, at least four times a week, which shouldn't be a problem, as they can easily be done while watching TV.
- Sitting or standing, place your feet parallel to each other on top of the towel in neutral stance.
- Curl your toes to create a grabbing motion on the towel, with the towel beginning to scrunch up towards you.
- When it's all scrunched up, push the towel away from you with your toes again, flattening it out. Your heels should stay in contact with the towel at all times.
Perform two sets of ten repetitions.
Standing Calf Raises
- Place the toes and front of the balls of your feet on top of a step, or even on level ground.
- You can support yourself by balancing yourself with your arms on the wall.
- Slowly and gently lift yourself up towards the ski by lifting the heels off the ground and pushing off with your toes, then lower back down.
Perform two to three sets of ten calf raises.
Standing Arch Raises
- Stand on one leg. Once you gain complete balance and control, raise the heel and arch of the foot you are standing on.
- Hold the position for a few seconds, then lower it back down. Repeat the process on the other foot.
Perform two to three sets of ten raises.
- Sit down on a padded area, such as a yoga mat or a thick carpet.
- Move the soles of your feet together.
- Slowly drive your knees downward until you feel a stretch in your thighs and hips. Hold for 20 seconds.
- Release and repeat five times. Make sure you're sitting straight up and don't round your back while you do this.
Insoles for Flat Feet
As with most foot problems, the solution can often be as simple as changing your footwear. Your shoes should always be firm and stable, with good arch support that prevents and aids with flat feet.
We know wearing shoes like that on all occasions is next to impossible, so it's good to know that there is a much more practical, discreet solution that can help you fight flat feet. There's a whole range of insoles that have been designed specifically to help you raise your arches and give your feet the support that they need.
The Pedag Gelaxy Flat Feet Insoles are designed specifically for people with weak or fallen arches, making them the go-to choice if you have flat feet. They are available in six different sizes that can easily be trimmed down to fit your specific needs.
If you're looking for something even more discreet than a full-length insole, these Pedag Step Arch Supports are perfect to lift the longitudinal arches and aid with flat feet. They feature self-adhesive underside that maximises grip for a more comfortable fit and peace of mind.
Are you thinking about giving shoe insoles a try in your battle to get rid of flat feet for good, but aren't really impressed with our suggestions? Don't worry, there's a whole category of Insoles for Flat Feet to choose from, allowing you to find the right fit for your feet on your own.
Do you have a question, or something to add? Why not let us know in the comments, or find us on Twitter and Facebook!
Shop Related Products
Please Sign In or create a New Account to leave a reply!
Ideastep Insole is an orthotics manufacturer, Offer OEM & ODM.
Your Sole Insole Shop provide Orthotics for flat feet, High arch, Plantar Fasciitis, Heel Pain…