1 CommentMonday, 29 January 2018 | Admin
If you can catch a whiff of your feet even without bending over, you know everyone else can as well. Though usually not a sign of a serious problem, foot odour can be embarrassing for you and disturbing for everyone around you. So we're here to help you figure out what's causing your problem and how you can stop smelly feet.
What Causes Smelly Feet?
It shouldn't come as a big surprise that the main reason for foot odour is usually poor personal hygiene, but since you're here looking for answers, you're probably already aware of that and want to find a more satisfying answer to your problem. We've come up with a list of reasons for smelly feet that might surprise you.
- Wearing the same shoes every day can lead to foot odour. Just as you would change your socks every day, you need to give your shoes a rest to dry thoroughly and minimise the opportunity for bacteria to grow.
- Not letting your shoes to dry creates the perfect breeding ground for fungi and bacteria, which inevitably leads to foot odour. Always make sure you are wearing appropriate footwear when it's wet outside, and if your shoes do get wet, be careful to dry them completely before you wear them again.
- An infection, most commonly athlete's foot, can cause a particularly unpleasant, yeasty foot odour. Hygiene is the most important factor in preventing an infection, so avoid walking barefoot in public showers or changing rooms, wear clean socks every day, choose socks make from natural, breathable materials and always dry your feet completely.
Easy Steps to Get Rid of Smelly Feet
Regardless of how it may feel at the moment, stinky feet always come with an explanation, and finding the right solution is usually much easier than it seems. Proper foot care and footwear can go a long way, and there is a range of remedies available if you feel you need additional help. We've come up with these easy steps that can help you get rid of foot odour.
1. Take Proper Care of Your Feet
Unlike sweat glands elsewhere on the body, those in the feet secrete all the time, which leads to massive amounts of sweat released and, most likely, confined to your shoes. What actually causes the distinct odour, though, is that the bacteria that live on the skin eat the feet's sweat and produce isovaleric acid, which is what you ultimately smell.
To put it bluntly, you can only get rid of both the sweat and bacteria by thoroughly scrubbing and drying your feet every day. What can be especially helpful in reducing the smell is exfoliating the skin with an exfoliating scrub, foot file or a pumice stone, which will also help you get rid of the dead skin.
2. Keep Your Feet Dry
The odour-causing bacteria thrive in moist areas, which is why it is important to always keep your feet dry. First of all, make sure to always dry your feet thoroughly, even between your toes, after you take a bath or shower.
Second of all, wear socks and shoes made of breathable fabrics. If possible, spend some time completely barefoot to give your feet a proper rest and allow them to air out.
3. Treat Your Feet with one of the Many Home Remedies
A nice pedicure is always a great idea, especially when it can help you fight foot odour. After thoroughly cleaning and exfoliating your feet, try one of the many home remedies known to help you get rid of smelly feet. Some of our best suggestions include washing your feet with vinegar, taking a black tea foot bath and rubbing your feet with lime.
4. Try Specialised Anti-Odour Shoe Insoles
If you want to take things a step further, you should try wearing a specialised shoe insole, designed to help you fight foot odour and let your feet breathe. Odour control insoles are made from moisture-absorbent materials that keep your feet cool and dry, preventing the growth of bacteria and minimising unpleasant odour.
Here at ShoeInsoles.co.uk we stock a broad range of insoles for various conditions. We especially recommend Woly Odour Stop Insoles and Dasco Latex Odour Control Insoles to help you out with your problem.
Do you have a question, or something to add? Why not let us know in the comments, or find us on Twitter and Facebook!
Please Sign In or create a New Account to leave a reply!
I suffered with sweaty feet for years and then my podiatrist suggested trying Sikoped insoles. They said they had been selling these for years and had worked well for lots of other clients. I tried them and wow, they really worked for me. Worth a go in my opinion. Hope this helps.
Ideastep Insole is an orthotics manufacturer, Offer OEM & ODM.
Your Sole Insole Shop provide Orthotics for flat feet, High arch, Plantar Fasciitis, Heel Pain…