Diabetes is a dreaded disease, and it does particular damage to the feet. It can happen to anyone, and it’s the leading cause of foot amputation in the United States.
Complications from diabetes can include nerve damage and poor blood circulation. What’s worse, when the disease progresses it can end up with neuropathy (loss of sensation) in the feet, which can cause foot injuries and wounds that might be difficult to heal.
The good news: most diabetic foot injuries can be prevented by paying proper attention to foot care, and by wearing shoes that are specially designed to protect the diabetic feet.
Shop Now for Diabetic Shoes
More good news: limb amputations have decreased by more than 50 percent in the last 20 years thanks to improved foot care and better awareness.
Function Features of Diabetic Shoes
Extra Depth Design
– Accommodates thick insoles and orthotics
– Offers a loose, comfortable fit.
– Eliminates pressure on the foot.
– Provides extra room for toe movement.
– Soft upper materials, with no overlays across the bunions and the toe box.
– Eliminates pressure and offers extra protection.
Protective Interior Lining
– Seam-free design
– Soft fabric interior,
– Extra foam padding
– Offers a gentle contact with the foot.
– Eliminates pressure points.
– Provides unsurpassed comfort and protection.
Biomechanical Orthotic Insoles
– Help relieve foot pain
– Reduce pressure on the bottom of the foot
– Provide comfortable arch support
– Enhance comfort and protection
Normally used for very sensitive or deformed feet.
– Allow the shoe to conform to the contours of the foot.
– Offer a loose, customized fit.
– Eliminate pressure points on the foot.
Click here to find the best shoes recommended by OrthoFeet.
The importance of Diabetic Socks
Diabetic socks are aimed to offer superior protection for the diabetic feet, reduce the risk of blisters, and offer non constrictive blood flow.
Enclosed are the features of functional diabetic socks:
- White color sole allows easy detection of wounds
- Seam-free, soft interior with extra padding, help minimizing friction and reducing the risk of blisters for the sensitive diabetic feet skin.
- Non-binding construction with non-restrictive fit in the calf area offers maximum blood flow and comfortable,
- Moisture wicking threads with anti-bacterial treatment helps keeping feet dry and reduce the risk of fungal infection
Click here to learn more on the special features of BioSoftTM bamboo diabetic socks.
Shop Now for Diabetic Shoes
In addition to proper footwear care, it is highly recommended to practice the following prevention steps:
- Inspect your feet daily. Look for blisters, cuts, cracks, sores, redness, tenderness or swelling. If you have a sore that does not go away quickly, or any other persistent problems, see your doctor immediately. Have a hard time bending down? Simply place a magnifying mirror on the floor to check the undersides of your feet.
- Wash your feet every day. All it takes is lukewarm water. Wash them but don’t soak them. Soaking your feet can break down your skin.
- Make sure you dry your feet after every washing. Be gentle. Don’t leave the skin between your toes wet or moist. Use lubricant only if your skin is dry, but avoid the area between your toes – you don’t want to leave moisture in that area.
- Trim your toenails straight across. Don’t cut in a rounded shape, which can lead to ingrown toenails. Use an emery board to smooth down the sharp edges of your toenails.
- Let your healthcare professional remove calluses and foot lesions. Don’t use a nail file, clipper or scissors. Don’t use a chemical wart remover. Take it to your doctor.
- Don’t go barefoot, even outside. Lack of protection leads to injury. Stubbing or puncturing your toe can lead to serious infections that can be perpetuated by diabetes.
- Don’t smoke. Smoke damages your blood circulation and reduces the amount of oxygen in your blood, which can affect your feet.
- See your foot doctor or podiatrist at least once a year. They can detect early signs of diabetes, which could include nerve damage and poor circulation.
Ideastep Insole is an orthotics manufacturer, Offer OEM & ODM.
Your Sole Insole Shop provide Orthotics for flat feet, High arch, Plantar Fasciitis, Heel Pain…