- All Services
- Athletic Medicine
- Our Practice
What about an electric foot massager for Christmas?
What are the benefits of using an electronic foot massager?
- Improves Circulation: A 10-minute foot massage on a regular basis with an electric foot messenger can help improve cardiovascular health by increasing blood circulation throughout the body and lessen the workload of circulation on the heart, keeping it strong and healthy.
- Improves immunity: A foot massage can help increase the activity of white blood cells that aid our body in fighting diseases and promote lymphatic circulation to remove toxins and waste products from within the body.
- Improves performance. Massaging the foot helps stretch muscle fibers, which promotes muscle flexibility and increased range of motion. When the foot functions properly, an athlete can perform more efficiently. Increased blood circulation also helps increase energy levels as muscles in the foot are nourished with increased nutrients and oxygen levels.
- Improves concentration: There are many reasons why your concentration may be suffering. Some of the most common reasons include anxiety, depression, insomnia, and hormonal imbalances. Reducing tension in the muscles of your feet will reduce the muscular contracting of blood vessels in your feet, which will promote the circulation of oxygenated blood to the brain, and therefore improve concentration. When the muscles in your feet have less tension, you experience less pain, you are more relaxed and sleep better, which in turn helps you concentrate more effectively. Massaging your feet also releases endorphins, like serotonin and dopamine, two “feel-good” hormones that not only reduce depression and anxiety but also improve our memory and ability to learn.
- Reduces aches and pains. Messaging your feet will help interfere with pain signals to our brain by stimulating competing nerve fibers with the sensation of pleasure to override the signal of pain messages to and from the brain.
- Reduces stress and tension. Massaging your feet helps reduce stress not only by increasing the release of “feel good” hormones as mentioned above, but also by decreasing the levels of cortisol, also known as the “stress hormone” which can have detrimental effects in our health including weight gain, depression, and anxiety to name a few.
Are there any harmful effects that can come from using an electric foot massager? If so, what are they?
There are no harmful effects that can come from using an electrical foot massager it it is used properly with the exception of potentially inducing labor. The stimulation of certain nerves in the foot can encourage uterine contractions and cervical ripening in the later stages of pregnancy which can lead to pretrem labor so it is important to first consult with your physician prior to using a foot massager.
Is there anyone who might particularly benefit from a foot massager?
There are many people who may particularly benefit from a foot massager including the following conditions:
- Hammertoe Deformities
- Plantar Fasciitis (Arch/ Heel Pain)
- Achilles Tendinitis
- Posterior Tibial Tendinitis (Shin Splints)
- Swelling of the feet
- Post-surgical recovery
- Athletic training and recovery
Is there anyone who should use caution and/or check with their doctor before starting to use a foot massager?
The only two people that should use caution and/ or check with their doctor before starting to use a foot massager include pregnant women as mentioned above and also people suffering from nerve damage also known as neuropathy as they cannot feel changes in temperature or pain that can ultimately result in harm and injury.