Pedicures are a good experience for your feet, and can aid in overall foot health. However, improperly sanitized equipment and previous customers with foot problems can lead to more issues for you.
The hard truth: some salons are better than others about cleanliness and proper procedure. Before you go in feet first, keep these pedicure rules-of-thumb on hand.
- Don’t paint or polish over discolored toenails. Discolored toenails usually signify a fungal infection. Nail polish prevents moisture from entering the nail, not allowing it to breathe.
- Don’t share emery boards. Because these tools are porous, they trap germs. They also cannot be sterilized, so always make sure your technician is treating you with an unused emery board (or better still – bring your own). In fact, non-metal tools should never be shared.
- Don’t shave your legs beforehand. Any small cuts or nicks allow bacteria to enter and cause problems.
- Don’t round your toenails when clipping them. Instead, cut squarely, straight across. Rounded cuts can lead to the nail growing into the skin. The unhappy result: ingrown toenails.
- Don’t cut your cuticles. Cuticles are made of very thin tissue, but they serve as a strong barrier against bacteria, so they need to be there.
- Don’t use a “foot razor.” Some technicians use this special razor to remove dead skin. However, it can cause permanent damage if not used correctly and can lead to infection if too much skin is removed.
- Don’t leave any moisture between toes. Moisturizing the area between your toes sounds good in theory, , but it can lead to athlete’s foot and fungal infections.
- Do schedule your pedicure as early in the day as possible. Footbaths get dirtier as the day goes on. Make sure your technician has cleaned the footbath before use. The sanitation cycle between each patient should be at least ten minutes.
For more info, see these related posts:
- 7 Foot Symptoms That Tell You To See A Doctor
- What’s the Difference Between Corns and Calluses?
- No More Foot Pain: Is It Possible?
Ideastep Insole is an orthotics manufacturer, Offer OEM & ODM.
Your Sole Insole Shop provide Orthotics for flat feet, High arch, Plantar Fasciitis, Heel Pain…